Grilling season is upon us, and I am ready for these Sun-dried Tomato Turkey Burgers. This recipe is a light dish that satisfies the craving for Italian without feeling the bloat from spoonfuls of pasta.
Recently I totally over ordered ground turkey in my ButcherBox shipment, and so I am crafting tons of turkey recipes. One of my go to’s is turkey burgers. I will make these on a Sunday night and have leftovers for our lunches for the next few days. Nothing like a solid meal prep to make the lunch packing process easy and breezy right? If you don’t need to have leftovers then just cut the recipe in half.
For the turkey, it is always ideal if you can get organic and free from hormones, etc. For the sun-dried tomatoes I opted for a jar that came packed with oil, so I simply just took the tomatoes out and left the oil in the jar. The oils in the tomatoes themselves will help make the burgers nice and juicy. I put mozzarella cheese on my husband’s, because he tolerates it well. I on the other hand have to be selective over the dairy I consume, and when I do I try to make sure it is from a quality source.
I will serve these burgers over a salad or on a sprouted bun. My sons will not eat these with the fixings, so I make sure that I put some of the turkey aside to make plain burgers for them. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
Sun-dried Tomato Turkey Burgers
Makes 8 burgers
- 2 pounds of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup of sun-dried tomatoes (packaged in oil), chopped
- 4 cups of spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- Optional: mozzarella cheese, avocado, avocado mayo or red onion for the topping
- Over medium heat lightly sauté the spinach until lightly wilted
- Add the spinach into a medium sized mixing bowl
- Remove a 1/2 cups worth of the sun-dried tomatoes from the jar and lightly chop
- Add the chopped tomatoes, turkey, salt and garlic powder to the mixing bowl and combine
- Form 8 burger patties and grill for about 15 minutes or until cooked through
- Top with these with optional items: fresh mozzarella, avocado mayo, leftover tomatoes, red onion and avocado