Looking for a classic BBQ chicken recipe with a sweet and savory twist for an easy dinner? These BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes have a lovely blend of protein, healthy fats, and vegetables for a well balanced meal. This dish is gluten free and paleo friendly.
This dish is a staple in my house. These sweet potatoes are so easy to make, and allow me to juggle all things dinner routine. You can make the coleslaw mix the day before, pick up a rotisserie chicken on the way home from work, and bake the sweet potatoes when you get home. Easy, right? Efficiency is everything as a working mom with kids and a husband.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of nutrients. They are high in antioxidants, balance blood sugar, and enhances immunity. Not to mention, sweet potatoes are high in fiber, which tends to be something most diets lack. All in all, this is a well balanced meal that will soon become a go to in your home as well. Enjoy!
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 12 oz bag of organic coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted, roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup sugar free, BBQ sauce*
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Combine all the coleslaw ingredients in a bowl, and mix until evenly coated. Store in the fridge while the rest of the meal is prepared.
- Shred the chicken, and toss with bbq sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Rub the coconut oil onto the skins of the potatoes and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast the potatoes for about 25 minutes until they are fork tender. This cooking time will vary depending on the size of your potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes in half and break apart the inside. Fill with the coleslaw, and top with the chicken.
- Garnish with avocado slices, more bbq sauce if desired, and a lime wedge.