Calling all chocolate lovers looking for a healthy snack packed with protein for a midday or morning recharge. These protein cookies are paleo friendly, gluten and dairy free!Jump to Recipe
When I think about protein snacks I often think of either an intense sugar taste, or an extremely dry and bland texture. There are some good options on the market such as Tone It Up, Primal Kitchen Collagen Bars, and Bullet Proof, which I typically keep on hand. However, there are several protein bars and snacks that are full of unnecessary and unhealthy ingredients that can end up spiking your blood sugar levels, which leave you hungry shortly after consuming.
Recently I decided to try to make my own protein cookies, which can serve as a midday or morning snack in addition to a healthy breakfast option. To be honest, I also really needed to use the bananas on my table. My kids are not banana bread fans, so I have to get crafty.
These cookies are super simple to make. For the protein powder I use Tone It Up, Ancient Nutrition, or Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel. Again, look on the label to see what you are consuming. Try to avoid a protein that has a long list of ingredients and high sugar content. If your batter ends up being too think then add in a little coconut milk to your preference. Combine all of the ingredients and bake for 6-8 minutes until the tops crack. I like all things soft baked, so I lean towards the 6 minute mark. Enjoy!
Chocolate Protein Cookies
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp chocolate protein powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Using a fork or a standard mixer, combine all of the dry ingredients
- Add in the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, banana, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Using an ice cream scooper or a generous tablespoon, scoop out 12 cookies onto a nonstick baking sheet. Roll the cookies into a ball and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, until the tops slightly crack. Allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes before serving, or store them in your refrigerator in an airtight container up to 1-2 weeks for optimal freshness. Enjoy!