What says Spring more than a citrus Lemon Bar recipe? For this recipe I turned the classic lemon bar into muffins for a refreshing, bite sized dessert. This dessert is paleo friendly, gluten and diary free.Jump to Recipe
I am a huge fan of lemon anything. When I entertain in the Spring and Summer months I will usually make these lovely bites. Sometime I will make them and pop them into the freezer, so I have them on hand for when my husband and I are craving a sweet treat during the week. I will sometimes serve them with vanilla ice cream for him, because he tolerates dairy better than I do. You can also serve fresh berries on the side to compliment the lemon flavor as well. Or, if you are feeling crazy do the muffins with ice cream and berries. You can’t go wrong either way.
This recipe is pretty easy to make as well, so the labor required is very minimal. The hardest part is waiting for them to completely cool before you remove them from the muffin liners. For storage, put them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or put them in the freezer for up to 3 months. I suggest using parchment paper to separate the muffins so they do not stick together as they are freezing.
Lemon Bar Muffins
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- the zest from 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1.5 tsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin tin with 6 liners
- Combine all of the crust ingredients with a fork or by hand until a crumbly dough is formed.
- Press the dough (about 1.5 tbsp) into the muffin tins evenly
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the crust is cooking combine all of the filling ingredients, and let it sit until the crust is done.
- Pour the filling evenly into the muffin tins (about 2 tbsp per muffin), and then bake for 12 minutes or until set.
- Allow the muffins to completely cool before removing the muffin liners, or store in the fridge until completely cooled.