Are you in the mood for a refreshing caprese salad? Then you will absolutely adore this fresh salad filled with grilled balsamic chicken, fresh mozzarella, freshly torn basil, and the nutty flavor of toasted pine nuts. This is Keto friendly and gluten free.Jump to Recipe
I love a fresh caprese salad, especially during the months when our garden is in full bloom. I pretty much look for any reason to use fresh basil when it is alive and well. I will be honest, I do not have a green thumb. So, when I am able to tend to simple herbs such as basil I feel quite successful.
While doing a Keto diet I loved that I could enjoy fresh mozzarella. I have to enjoy it in moderation though, because I don’t always handle dairy well as it causes bloating and some inflammation. Sometimes, I will make this with a dairy free cheese option. The dairy free brand I will use is Miyoko’s Creamery, which you can find in Whole Foods. This has the texture more like ricotta, but the same vibe as a classic mozzarella.
I hope you enjoy this easy yet satisfying salad as much as we do. This is a staple at our house, especially during the warm Spring and Summer months when fresh herbs and tomatoes are alive and well. Enjoy!
Caprese Chicken Salad
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 2 cups cucumbers, chopped
- 1 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 beef steak tomato, sliced
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly torn basil leaves
- 1 avocado, quartered
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 freshley squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Fillet the chicken breasts so you have 4 even pieces. Then, stab the chicken with a fork so they can soak up the marinade
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, vinegar, oil and seasoning and mix until evenly coated. Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Grill the chicken until each piece is cooked through (about 15 minutes while flipping halfway)
- While the chicken in grilling, toast the pine nuts in a nonstick pan over medium to high heat. Toss frequently to avoid burning.
- Add the mixed greens, chopped cucumbers, torn basil, avocado, freshly torn mozzarella, and tomato into salad bowls.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Slice and add the chicken to the salads, and top with the dressing. Enjoy!