I recently discovered pistachio milk and oh my goodness. I am hooked. The subtle sweet and creamy flavor makes this smoothie bowl taste almost like a dessert. Make this for a go-to breakfast option that will have you asking for seconds!
Okay, so I have heard of all the milks under the sun, but recently I stumbled across the brand Three Trees. Their pistachio milk was on sale, so naturally I bought it. I immediately thought of making a pistachio smoothie, of course.
When I make my smoothies I stick to the Fab 4 approach developed by Kelly Leveque, who is a holistic nutritionist. She has written the beloved books called Body Love and Body Love Everyday. Her approach is so simple that it will have you applying it to every meal. Do you have greens, a healthy fat, a source of fiber, and quality protein? If you hit all of those groups then there is no hemming and hawing about whether or not your meal is complete. Sprinkle some optional superfoods and liquid, and you are good to go my friend.
So, of course, I used my tried and true Primal Kitchen Vanilla Coconut Collagen Fuel protein powder to allow the vanilla to compliment the pistachio flavor. I used frozen cauliflower rice and kale for my greens serving. My fiber source is the ever so powerful flax seeds. My healthy fat is the drizzle of almond butter. For the liquid I used the pistachio milk. I can’t forget to add in a half of a medium sized banana for my fructose source. For the toppings I added a dash more of chia seeds, raw unsalted pistachios, my Spiced Grain-Free Granola recipe, unsweetened coconut flakes, and cacao nibs.
Like my other smoothie bowl recipes it is better to start off with a modest amount of liquid, because you want to get the right consistency to allow for spoonfuls. Otherwise, if you add too much liquid you will be using a straw and slurping that puppy up, you know what I mean?
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. I have been enjoying this all week, and I am sad to say I already need to replenish my pistachio milk supply, because my husband has fallen in love with it as much as I did. Sharing is caring, right? At least until it comes to that last cup of milk, then the gloves are off.
Pistachio Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup of pistachio milk
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup of frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup of frozen kale
- 1 tbsp of ground flax
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1/4 cup of filtered water
- 1 tbsp of almond butter
- 10 raw unsalted pistachios
- Optional toppings: unsweetened coconut flakes, cacao nibs, 1/4 cup of granola
- Add the milk, water, cauliflower, kale, flax and banana to a high speed blender and blend until well combined
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with almond butter, pistachios and other optional toppings
- *Note: if the smoothie is way too thick then add small amounts of water until it is just right. The servings here will work perfectly, but depending on if you use generous amounts of the ingredients you may need to play with the liquids