This smoothie bowl is a great way to start the day with the perfect dose of protein, healthy fats, fiber and superfoods. If you are a lover of strawberry shortcake then this is definitely for you! A little bit of coconut milk, vanilla protein, strawberries, and chia seeds pack a punch for a healthy start to a beautiful day you are sure to have (the power of mindset, right?).
I am a fan of anything smoothie or smoothie bowl. I have a smoothie daily, and I feel like a little scientist playing with different combinations of ingredients. I mean, the options are limitless! When it comes to differentiating the two it is all about consistency. For a smoothie you typically want more liquid than contents, and for a bowl you want to start with less liquid then add more as needed so it doesn’t get runny and you can actually pick up spoonfuls. It’s all about balance and texture, such is life.
It is no secret I am a lover of Primal Kitchen’s Vanilla Coconut Collagen Fuel, so if you were to ask me for a recommendation for protein I would be sure to send you their way. Other brands I use are Ancient Nutrition and Tone It Up as they offer a clean and simple ingredient list free of fillers and unnecessary additives. If you want an unflavored protein you could also use Vital Protein’s collagen or Primal Kitchen’s unflavored collagen peptides. Whatever floats your boat.
For this smoothie bowl I use chia seeds for my fiber source, but you could also sub in ground flax meal. Using chia seeds delivers a massive amount of nutrients and antioxidants. For my source of fat I stick to my tried and true coconut oil, which is beneficial for your heart and brain health in addition to your hair and skin. I use frozen cauliflower rice for some vitamin A and C, and the frozen texture helps the bowl stay more dense and not runny.
Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie Bowl
- 1/2 cup of cut up strawberries
- 1/2 of a frozen medium banana
- 1 cup of frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-2 scoops of vanilla protein (I use 2 of the Primal Kitchen Vanilla Coconut Collagen Peptides)
- Optional toppings: hemp seeds, granola, chia seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes, additional berries
- Put everything (except for your optional toppings) into a high speed blender and turn it on until combined. You will want a thick consistency, so I wouldn’t add additional liquid unless needed.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and dress it up with your toppings of choice. I used my Spiced Grain-Free Granola for some added texture.