If you are a lover of Caesar salads then you have to dig into to this recipe. This salad has the perfect blend of protein, healthy fats and fibrous greens to satisfy any pallet. People often overlook Caesar salads, but with the right flavors they can be quite dynamic. You can dig into this for lunch or for dinner. This salad is gluten free, Keto friendly, and it can be Paleo if you ditch the cheese.
I love crafting salads. For the longest time I truly believed salads were something that always tasted better if someone else made them. Then I started to get into the stride of learning different flavor and texture combinations. I often make my own dressings, but hands down Primal Kitchen makes the best store bought varieties that are clean and simple. In this recipe their Caesar dressing brings the dish to life.
Before I start preparing anything for the salad I make a package of Simple Mills’ Artisan Bread mix, which will later serve as my croutons. While the bread is cooking I start to build the salad. I used a mix here of organic baby kale, romaine and mixed greens. Then, I tossed the pine nuts into a pan over medium heat and let them toast while frequently moving them around to prevent burning. Once the pine nuts are done I add them to greens.
Next, I take the prosciutto and lay the slices on a piece of parchment paper and let them crisp in the oven while the bread is baking. I keep an eye on the prosciutto while the pieces crisp for about 10 minutes and then remove them from the oven. After the prosciutto is cooled I will then cut the pieces into little bits and then add them to the salad. Often times I will shred some raw organic cheddar cheese and toss it in as well. When the bread is done I cut the slices into cubes, toss them with olive oil and Italian seasoning and add them back into the oven until the they are crisp.
On week nights I often grab a rotisserie chicken to make dinner prep simple. Grabbing a chicken from Whole Foods is my go-to. Here I shredded the breast meat and each serving got 4-6 oz, and then my kids ate the rest for their dinners. Its a win-win for everyone at the table.
Kale Chicken Caesar Salad
- 1 package of Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix
- 4 cups of baby kale or your choice of salad greens
- 8-12 oz of shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons of Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing
- 6 oz of Prosciutto (I used Applegate Naturals)
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon of dried Italian seasoning
- 1 lemon
- Optional: 1/2 cup of shredded raw organic cheddar cheese (I use Organic Valley brand)
- Prepare the Simple Mills bread mix per the directions for a loaf and bake for the allotted time
- Place the Prosciutto slices on a piece of parchment paper, add it to the oven during the last 10 minutes of the bread’s cooking time and bake until they are nice and crisp
- Meanwhile, toss the pine nuts in a pan over medium heat while stirring frequently until they are nicely toasted then remove from the heat
- When the Prosciutto is nice and crisp remove it from the oven and cut into little pieces
- When the bread is done cut half of the loaf into slices and then into cubes. Place the cubes on a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle on the avocado oil and Italian seasoning and mix until the croutons are evenly coated. Place the croutons into the oven for another 8-10 minutes until golden brown and toasted
- Add the kale, chicken, pine nuts, 1/2 cup of croutons, prosciutto, and cheese (if you choose to add it) into a bowl. Top the salad with the juice of half a lemon and Caesar dressing, and toss it all together until evenly coated.