If you are looking for a simple side dish that is sure to please a crowd and save time in the kitchen then this dish is for you! Like most of my recipes you just toss the ingredients together in a bowl and there you go!
I have to admit I was never a huge fan of Brussel sprouts, but my husband loves them so I had to get on board. Over the years I have come to really enjoy them. I typically enjoy them roasted in the oven with some avocado oil sprinkled with sea salt or in this super simple salad. I will typically serve the salad alongside grilled chicken or turkey burgers.
The secret is to shred the Brussel sprouts pretty good. After washing them I will let them sit and dry while I prepare the roasted pecans, because they can burn easily if left unattended. To get a good shredded texture start by cutting the ends off of the sprout, then cut them in half the long way, then turn them onto their flat side and carefully cut them into thin slices. For me, the shredded texture makes the dish! I tried this with already packaged shredded Brussel sprouts, and they were so thick that they took away from the dish. So, take my advice and buy them whole and shred them yourself. Another quick method is to trim the sprouts, toss them into a food processor and then pulse until shredded.
We typically have bacon on hand in my house. My husband likes it, and my son Shane is an egg and cheese sandwich fanatic. We buy Applegate or Nature’s Rancher brands to ensure they are sugar free and of good quality. I will let the bacon sizzle in the pan while I am putting everything together (if I have not already prepared the bacon earlier in the week during meal prep).
Brussel Sprout Salad
Serving size: 4
Time: 20 minutes
*Time will vary depending on if you already cooked the bacon ahead of time.
- 12 ounces of whole organic Brussel sprouts (trimmed and shredded thinly)
- 6 slices of bacon (chopped)
- 1 cup of pecans (chopped and toasted)
- 2 tablespoons of shallot (minced)
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons of avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of stone ground mustard
- Brown the bacon in a pan until crisp, then chop the slices into little bits and toss them into a medium sized bowl
- Roughly chop the pecans and toast them in a pan over medium heat while tossing them intermittently to avoid burning
- Add the pecans into the bowl with the bacon
- Shred the Brussel sprouts by trimming the ends, cutting them in half, and then slicing them thinly. Or, trim the sprouts and pulse them in a food processor until shredded
- Next, add the Brussel sprouts, minced shallot, and feta cheese into the bowl with the bacon and pecans
- In a separate small bowl add the avocado oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and ground mustard and whisk until well combined
- Add the dressing into the salad mixture and toss until coated and serve or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container